William Pond Recreation Area, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an annual Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year. If this is your first Friday Walk of 2022, you will need to complete a new Liability Waiver.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Friday, February 4, 9:15am-11:45am, William Pond Recreation Area, ARP
Note: If this is your first Friday Walk in 2022 read the Waiver and Sign-up section at the top of the Friday Walks page.
Enjoy a winter walk along the American River and the pond at William Pond Recreation Area. The trail encircling the pond is currently not a dry walk so we will not be making a loop around the pond. Most of this walk will be exploring the river and pond edges. While a few plants are starting to bloom, the only native observed in bloom is Telegraph weed from last fall. We’ll not be going as far as the Harrington Access since so little is in bloom. The walk is less than 3 miles. A number of birds will be seen so you might want to bring binoculars. Email John Schmidt for more information, to sign up or receive a 2022 Friday Walks Liability Waiver or call 916-500-8456. You will need to email for the Liability Waiver.
Parking is $5 or use an Annual Parks Passport.
If you are coming from east of William Pond along Fair Oaks Blvd, there is still some finishing touches road construction between the Carmichael Post Office and Marconi Ave.
There are rest facilities about 200 yards past the meeting area and others will be passed near the pond observation deck of the walk.
The $50 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 9:30am.
Bring water, hat, snack, and weather protection.
There are rest facilities along the way but not near the meeting area.
To sign up for the February 4 William Pond Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Meet near the teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
William Pond directions from downtown Sacramento:
– Take Highway 50 East to Watt Ave, exit #11
– Watt Ave North
– Right on Fair Oaks Blvd
– Right on Arden Way
– At the end of Arden Way you’ll enter the American River Parkway at William Pond
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($5) unless you have an annual Parks Passport.
– Park in the first set of parking spaces available past the entrance kiosk. We’ll meet you there.
If you are coming from east of William Pond along Fair Oaks Blvd, there is still some road construction between the Carmichael Post Office to Marconi Ave.Parking is $5 or purchase a $50 Parks Passport pass which supports the Sacramento County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.