Nimbus Hatchery & Upper Sunrise, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening if heavy rain is in the forecast.
Friday, November 19, 9:15am-12:00pm, Nimbus Hatchery & Upper Sunrise, ARP
Join us for a visit to the new Nimbus Hatchery fish ladder and then a walk through the eastern section of the Upper Sunrise area of the American River Parkway. The hatchery itself is currently closed to the public so there are no rest facilities at the meeting area or along the walk. While nothing was in bloom Sunday, a few small plants have enough new growth to identify them including California saxifrage and miner’s lettuce. A few ferns and numerous Polypody will also be seen. We’ll turn around near the normal Upper Sunrise meeting area and retrace our way back to the hatchery parking area. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, sun, and weather protection.
Parking is free at the Nimbus Hatchery visitor parking lot.
Meet near the teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
Directions to Nimbus Hatchery from downtown Sacramento:
– Travel east on Highway 55 to Hazel Avenue, exit 21
– Left at Hazel Avenue
– Left at Gold Country Blvd, the traffic light just before the Hazel Avenue bridge over river.
– Right at Nimbus Rd about 50 yards from Hazel Avenue.
– Go down Nimbus Rd, stopping at the bike trail and then drive into the large hatchery visitor parking lot.
Park at the far end close to the river.
We’ll meet there. If you arrive late look for us near the new fish ladder.
To sign up for the November 19 Nimbus Hatchery and Upper Sunrise Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.