Sailor Bar, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening if heavy rain is in the forecast.
Friday, February 18, 9:15am-12:00pm, Sailor Bar, ARP
Sailor Bar holds a mix of oak woodlands, riparian habitat and is draped in winter sunshine. With a few weeks of sunshine and warmer temperature a number of plants are starting to bloom and add more colors to the landscape. We’ll meet at the parking lot near Turtle Pond and start walking towards the western end of the large island in the river. Here we’ll find some poppies bloom. A more detailed flower report will be added by Tuesday evening. The walk will continue up river passing the boat launching (and restroom area) then back along the base of the bluff to the meeting area. We’ll then make a loop along the western side of the pond and and ascend the oak hillsides above. The return will be along the other side of the pond unless there is enough in bloom to hike up towards the park entrance and return through a restoration area. There is some cobble area after the restoration area and near the river but most of the walk will be on dirt trails and roads. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
To sign up for the February 18 Sailor Bar Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Bring water, snack, hat, sun protection and layered clothing.
Parking is $5 or use an Annual Parks Passport.
Meet at the Sailor Bar pond parking area, the teardrop on the linked map.
Directions to Sailor Bar from downtown:
– Travel east on Highway 50 to Exit #21
– North on Hazel Avenue
– After crossing the bridge, turn left on Winding Way (second light after the bridge).
– Turn left at Illinois Ave and drive into the parkway.
– Even if the Entrance Kiosk is unmanned, be sure to self-register your vehicle or use your Parks Annual Pass.
– Turn right into the parking are at the bottom of the hill about 150 yards past the kiosk.
There are no rest facilities at the meeting area. There are rest facilities further past the pond area near the boat launch which we will pass about half way through the walk.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 9:30am.
The $50 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. Effective March 1 the Park Pass will increase to $60, but there will be a new $30 Senior Pass for those 65 and older. More information on-line but does not yet show the new fee schedule that starts March 1 .
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.