Sacramento Bar, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening if heavy rain is in the forecast.
Friday, March 4, 9:15am-11:45am, Sacramento Bar, ARP
Join us for a late Winter walk around Sacramento Bar. Numerous plants are emerging and painting the landscape green. Among the herbs we’ll see Claytonia, Stellaria, Lupinus, Vicia, poppies and Erodium. There are still not many plants in bloom. The walk will be mostly on fire roads. There will be numerous birds to observe including nesting Great Blue Herons. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456. In addition to the plant list available at the meeting area, there is a plant list for Sacramento Bar at Calflora.org. Email John for download directions if you would like to download it to your phone prior to the walk.
Bring water, hat, snack, and layered clothing. Binoculars will be useful for bird sightings.
Meet in the parking area just beyond the entrance kiosk on the map or use the directions below.
Directions from Sacramento:
– Take US 50 east to Sunrise Blvd. Exit #18.
– Go north (left) on Sunrise Blvd, driving across the American River.
– Turn left at the 1st light past the bridge onto Fair Oaks Blvd.
– Then make an immediate left onto Pennsylvania Avenue.
– The kiosk is at the end of Pennsylvania Avenue, just past Magnolia Street.
Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($6). Or use your Annual Parks Passport. Sacramento County Park entrance fees are changing March 1, 2022. The $60 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. There will also be a new $30 Senior County Park Pass. More pass information with the new fees in now online.
There are rest facilities near the parking area.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
To sign up for the March 4 Sacramento Bar Walk and receive the link for the 2022 Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 9:30am.