Ancil Hoffman ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening if heavy rain is in the forecast.
Friday, January 7, 9:15am-12:00pm, Ancil Hoffman Park, Carmichael, ARP
This is the first Friday Walk of 2022. Everyone attending will need a new 2022 Friday Walks Waiver. Those who attended a 2021 Friday Walk Waiver will be emailed a new 2022 Friday Walks Waiver the evening
morning of January 4, unless you did not provide an email address. All others will need to request a 2022 Friday Walks Waiver.
Parking Note: Meet at parking lot near the green waste dumping area across from the golf course, sports field and picnic areas, NOT at the Effie Yeaw Nature Center. See the map link below, if not sure.
Join us for a winter walk around Ancil Hoffman Park. We’ll drop down near the river in a few sections if the river flows don’t rise more by Friday. A couple of plants already in bloom are California Bay and Pipevine. There will also be a number of birds to see both on water and land. The walk will start at the Carmichael Creek overflow basin near the sports and picnic fields. We’ll make a clockwise loop along the river and around the golf course. Depending upon how busy the Effie Yeaw Nature Center is, the walk may end going through parts of the Nature Center or along the perimeter trail next to the entrance road and golf course. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, and layered protection. A walking stick may help if we cross some river cobble but long sections of cobble will be avoided.
Parking is $5 or use a Parks Annual Pass.
Meet near the red teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
Ancil Hoffman Park directions from downtown Sacramento:
– Take Highway 50 East to Watt Ave, exit #11
– Watt Ave North
– Right on Fair Oaks Blvd for 4.0 miles
– Right on Van Alstine Ave. This is the intersection of El Camino Ave and Fair Oaks Blvd.
– Left on California Ave.
– Right on Tarshes Dr.
– Enter Ancil Hoffman Park (watch the speed tables going down the hill)
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($5) unless you have a Parks Annual Pass.
– Stay to the right along the golf course fence. Do NOT turn left at the stop sign for the nature center.
– Continue straight along side the golf course.
– Turn left into the U-shaped parking area just after passing the wooded section of the nature area. There is a duck pond here during rainy winters but it was dry Monday.
– Meet at the back end of this parking area.
To sign up for the January 7 Ancil Hoffman Walk and receive the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
There are rest facilities about 100 yards from the meeting area.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 9:30am.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Sacramento County $50 Parks Annual Pass supports the county Parks system. More Pass information is on-line. This is not the same as the State Parks Pass mentioned below.
State Park Pass
The 2022 Golden Bear Limited Use State Park Pass (62 and older) is now available at the California State Parks Gold District Field Office. This is usually easier than purchasing this pass at the California State Park Headquarters in downtown Sacramento or ordering on on line which is sent by mail once processed. The 2022 Limited Use State Park Pass is valid from January 1 through December 31, 2022 for State Parks, except from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Many of the 2022 Friday Walks will be at Folsom SRA access areas of like Nimbus Flat, Negro Bar, Salmon Falls, Brown’s Ravine, Beals Point, Granite Bay and Horseshoe Bar. Friday Walks will also visit the Quarry Trail, North Fork Dam Trail and other areas in Auburn SRA. Regular parking in these areas is $12/day. The Limited Use Senior State Park Pass is $20 valid through December 31, 2022. I purchased one Monday but forgot to ask if they will be open New Year’s Eve, so will update this part December 28th.
More information on State Park passes is here. The Golden Bear Limited Use State Park Pass is near the bottom of the web page.