- Stems are erect, to arching, slender, glaucous, and simple to branching
- Leaves are on stems or basal; one long basal leaf is present during blooming, along with several leaves on the stems.
- Leaves measure between 8 and 30 inches in length, and 0.5 and 2 inches in width.
- Flowers are borne in groups of 1- 2- many
- Flowers: Delicate, pendent, nodding, 0.75 inch to 1-inch closed orbs of pearly white, to pink, to deep pink, red, occasionally greenish.
- Flowers from late March to early July
- Dormant after flowering period
- Low moisture requirements; do not irrigate once established
- Attracts butterflies and moths
- Found in shady to open woods and scrub, partially shaded grasslands, exposed coastal bluffs and often found in rocky places in the foothill woodlands, yellow pine forests, and chaparral.