William Pond Recreation Area, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an annual Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year. If this is your first Friday Walk of 2023, you will need to complete a new Liability Waiver.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Note starting time at 8:15am for local Friday Walks which will be in place until after Labor Day Weekend.
Friday, August 11, 8:15am-11:00am, William Pond Recreation Area, ARP
Note: If this is your first Friday Walk in 2023 read the Waiver and Sign-up section at the top of the Friday Walks page.
Enjoy a late winter along the American River and the pond at William Pond Recreation Area. We’ll head west towards the William B. Pond viewing platform and return along parts of the east side of William Pond and then along the river up towards the bridge to River Bend Park and then back to the meeting area. Sorry there will be no bloom report for William Pond as car issues have prevented time for scouting. Look forward to seeing everyone Friday Morning. The walk is about 3 miles. A number of birds should be seen so you might want to bring binoculars. Email John Schmidt for more information, to sign up or receive a 2023 Friday Walks Liability Waiver or call 916-500-8456. You will need to email for the Liability Waiver.
Parking is $5 or use an Annual Parks Passport.
There are rest facilities about 200 yards past the meeting area and others will be passed near the pond observation deck of the walk.
The $60 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line. Note there is a new $30 Senior Parks Pass for those of 65 and older. These are for sale at the American River Parkway Foundation office just inside the park entrance and their office opens at 9:00am.
Bring water, hat, snack, sturdy footwear and weather protection. Some may wish to carry a walking stick.
Meet near the teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
William Pond directions from downtown Sacramento:
– Take Highway 50 East to Watt Ave, exit #11
– Watt Ave North
– Right on Fair Oaks Blvd
– Right on Arden Way
– At the end of Arden Way you’ll enter the American River Parkway at William Pond
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($5) unless you have an annual Parks Passport.
– Park in the first set of parking spaces available past the entrance kiosk. We’ll meet you there.
If you are coming from east of Hazel Avenue it might be quicker to park at the River bend parking area and walk across the bridge to William Pond Park. It’s about 10 12 minute walk.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 8:30am.