Upper Sunrise, ARP, February 9
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. At this time only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, February 9, 9:15am-11:45am, Upper Sunrise, ARP
If you’re wondering why we’re going to Upper Sunrise again, it’s because 70% of what we grow at the Nursery is found here! We’ll meet at the large parking lot just about 1/3 mile east of the Upper Sunrise boat launch and restroom area. The walk will head east passing a long stand of Snowberry bush and then a section near last year’s stream bed restoration project. We’ll then climb up to the top of the bluff near the Amphitheater area. From there we’ll take the rocky and winding trail through Polypody canyon which also hosts a variety of ferns. This rocky emerges on to the dirt trail on the bluff above the river and heads up river to a couple of picnic tables. We may continue along this section to the region of “Chris’ mini-meadow”. The return will be closer to the main bike trail.
A bloom report might be added by Tuesday evening. Rain is forecast for Friday.
Meet at the red teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
Directions to Upper Sunrise from downtown:
– Travel east on Highway 50 to Sunrise Blvd exit 18
– North on Sunrise Boulevard
– After passing Gold Country Road, turn right on South Bridge Street
– Drive past American River Raft Rentals and the fenced raft parking area into the Parkway passing the Entrance Kiosk
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($7) unless you have a Parks Annual Pass.
– Turn right at the Stop sign
– Pass the rest facilities (last one if needed) and the boat launch parking area.
– Follow the road right and drive an additional 1/3 miles upstream to a long parking area on your right and a wide view of the river on you left.
– Park near the upriver end of this lot which is heavily used by fisherman during the salmon and steelhead fishing season.
– There is room for about 40 vehicles at the meeting area.
There are no rest facilities at the meeting location but there is one two turns past the entrance kiosk.
To sign up for the February 9 Upper Sunrise Walk email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
If this is your first Friday Walk of 2024, be sure to bring your signed 2024 Friday Walks waiver with you. Email John Schmidt if you need a 2024 Friday Walks Waiver.
Bring extra water, hat, snack, sturdy shoes, layered protection and perhaps a walking stick.
Parking is $7 or use your Parks Annual Pass.
Binoculars will be useful for bird observations.
The $70 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line. There is also a new $35 Senior Citizen Vehicle Pass for those 62 and older. The Senior Citizen Pass must be purchased in person and only at select locations.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.