Upper Sunrise, ARP, February 10
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. At this time only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, February 10, 9:15am-11:45am, Upper Sunrise, ARP
If you’re wondering why we’re going to Upper Sunrise again, it’s because 70% of what we grow at the Nursery is found here! A variety of plants will be showing new leaf growth, but only a couple will be in bloom. Only a few plants were seen in bloom Monday afternoon including Aristolochia californica and Marah fabacea. We will see numerous plants with that can identified with new leaf grow including Acmispon glaber, Aesculus californica, Aristolochia californica, Boechera arcuata, Brodiaea elegans, Chlorogalum pomeridianum, Clarkia unguiculata, Claytonia parviflora, Chlorogalum pomeridianum, Diplacus aurantiacus, Frangula californica ssp. tomentella, Keckiella breviflora, Lonicera interrupta, Lupinus benthamii, Marah fabacea, Monardella villosa and Philadelphus lewisii.
The walk will head east from the meeting area toward the overlook of the Sailor Bar boat launch area. We will then return along the trail just above the river and continue down river towards the amphitheater and possibly follow a windy trail through gullies filled with ferns and polypody. From there we’ll head back to the meeting area. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
If this is your first Friday Walk of 2023, be sure to bring your signed 2023 Friday Walks waiver with you.
Bring water, hat, snack, sturdy shoes, and layered protection. A walking stick might be useful near the river and in the windy and rocky Polypody and Fern section.
Parking is $6 or use your Parks Annual Pass.
Meet at the teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
Directions to Upper Sunrise from downtown:
– Travel east on Highway 50 to Sunrise Blvd exit 18
– North on Sunrise Boulevard
– After passing Gold Country Road, turn right on South Bridge Street
– Drive past American River Raft Rentals and the fenced raft parking area into the Parkway passing the Entrance Kiosk
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($6) unless you have a Parks Annual Pass.
– Turn right at the Stop sign
– Pass the rest facilities (last one if needed) and the boat launch parking area.
– Follow the road right and drive an additional 1.4 miles upstream on the park road that parallels the river and the bike trail.
– Meet at the long pull-in parking area on your left just before the road rises to the dead end turn around.
– There is room for about 20 vehicles at the meeting area.
-Enjoy the newly resurfaced road near the boat launch and the following ¼ mile.
There are no rest facilities at the meeting location but there is one two turns past the entrance kiosk.
To sign up for the February 10 Upper Sunrise Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Binoculars will be useful for bird observations.
The $60 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line. There is also a new $30 Senior Citizen Vehicle Pass for those 62 and older. The Senior Citizen Pass must be purchased in person and only at select locations.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.