Sweetwater Trail, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-up required.
Welcome to the new Friday Walks returning after an 18 month health recess. With the return are a few new Rules:
You MUST sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance for Sacramento Valley CNPS Friday Walks. This is a permanent change required by CNPS statewide. Note that this Waiver is for Sacramento Valley CNPS Friday Walks only and does not cover Sacramento Valley CNPS Field Trips nor any Events or Field Trips offered by other CNPS Chapters. The only difference with the Sacramento Valley CNPS Friday Walks Liability Waiver is that once signed it is valid through the end of the current calendar year (2023).
For now the Friday Walks will also have a limit on the number of participants. Initially the limit is 20 attendees plus 1 leader. Only 4 new to Friday Walks attendees can sign up for each walk during this initial restart of Friday Walks. If your name appears on a sign in sheet after January 1, 2013 you are not considered a new attendee.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, September 29, 9:30am – 12:15pm, Sweetwater Creek, Folsom SRA
If your driving plans include using Green Valley Road from wast of El Dorado Hills Blvd. check back Thursday evening for an update on possible road resurface delays along Green Valley Rd. John will update this possibility during the week. There was no construction work on Saturday or Sunday.
Sign-up is required for everyone that is driving to the Sweetwater Creek Friday Walk due to very limited parking at the trailhead. It is hoped that by this time most you of would feel comfortable with riding with at least one other person. If you plan to drive and park at the trailhead, let John know how many other people will in your vehicle. If you don’t know anyone to ride with email for other options such as parking at Falcon Crest for a ride or meeting near the Safeway red teardrop in El Dorado Hills off Green Valley Rd. about 9:15am and riding from there.
Note the meeting area will be at the older meeting area at Sweetwater Creek, not the location used the last few times at the Sweetwater State Park lot. The lake level is too high to cross Sweetwater Creek.
Sweetwater Creek Trail is off Salmon Falls Rd and heads out to the South Fork of the American River. Among the few native plants currently in bloom are Croton setigerus, Madia elegans, Solidago velutina and Symphyotrichum chilense. While not in bloom this is only Friday Walk where Garrya congdonii is seen. The old Salmon Falls Bridge is totally under water. This is a mostly level and partially shaded walk. Email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Bring water, hat, sun protection and a snack.
Meet at the teardrop on this map or use the directions below. It’s about 30 minutes from Sunrise and Hwy 50 to the meeting area.
Driving directions from Sacramento:
– Travel east on Highway 50
– Take exit 30B -El Dorado Hills Blvd.
– Drive north on El Dorado Hills for about 3.5 miles to Green Valley Rd.
– As you cross Green Valley Rd at 3.5 miles it becomes Salmon Falls Rd.
– Follow Salmon Falls Rd. right toward Pilot Hill at the fork ¼ mile past Green Valley Rd.
– Drive past Falcon Crest on your left at the top of one climb.
– Continue past Falcon Crest as the road curves down to the right and down
– As you reach the bottom of the hill, slow down.
– At the very bottom of this descent, the Sweetwater parking area will on your left just past a small bridge. There is a small green trailhead gate on your left with space for about for about 10 vehicles including on the left road shoulder as the road curves up the next hill.
– If you pass the parking area, there are some driveways about 300 yards ahead that can be used for turning around.
Parking is free at the trailhead. There are no rest facilities are available at the trailhead.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:45am.