Snipes Ravine Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. At this time only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Note starting time at 8:15am for local Friday Walks which will be in place until after Labor Day Weekend.
Friday, August 4, 8:15am-10:45am, Snipes Ravine, Folsom SRA
If this is your first Friday Walk in 2023, read the Waiver and Sign-up section at the top of the page.
This is another ‘hotspot’ of diversity and photo opportunities! The walk will start at Norma Hamlin Park, drop down Snipes Ravine, cross a wooden bridge, climb up to the top of the bluff on the north side of Lake Natoma and drop down to the bike trail on the lake shoreline. There we will follow the bike trail east for about 1/3 mile towards the eagle nesting area. The return will be along the same path. Some of the native plants we will see in bloom include Cordylanthus pilosus ssp. hansenii, Croton setigerus, Holocarpha virgata, Madia elegans, Pseudognaphalium beneolens, and, Solidago velutina ssp. californica. Part of this walk will be through a recently burned section on the hill dropping down to the bottom of Snipes Ravine north of the bridge.
This walk features more of a climb than walks on the American River Parkway. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
See the map or use the directions below.
From downtown Sacramento:
– East on Highway 50 to Hazel Ave exit 21
– North on Hazel Ave.
– Right (east) on Sunset Ave (4th stoplight after Hazel Ave bridge).
– Left (north) on Main Ave. at stop sign (it’s the only way you can go).
– Right (east) on Twin Lakes Ave (has stop sign, across from Twin Lakes School).
– Left on Snipes Blvd.
Norma Hamlin Park will be on your right. There is limited free parking for several cars in front of Norma Hamlin Park. You might need to park somewhere along Twin Lakes Avenue since very few Friday Walkers carpool.
If coming from east of Watt Ave., check the map for shorter routes.
The park has no rest facilities.
Bring extra water, layered clothing, sturdy shoes, sun protection, snacks and maybe binoculars.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 8:30AM.
To sign up for the August 4 Snipes Ravine Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Special State Park Pass Note for those 62 and older and new to Friday Walks:
Snipes Raven is less than 4 miles from the California State Parks Gold District Field Office where you can now purchase a 2023 Golden Bear Limited Use State Park Pass (62 and older). The Limited Use State Park Pass is valid from January 1 through December 31, 2023 for State Parks, except from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Some of the 2023 Friday Walks will be at Folsom SRA access areas of like Nimbus Flat, Negro Bar, Salmon Falls, Brown’s Ravine, Beals Point, Granite Bay and Horseshoe Bar. Friday Walks will also visit the Quarry Trail, North Fork Dam Trail and possibly areas in Auburn SRA. Regular parking in these areas is $12/day. The Limited Use Senior State Park Pass is $20 valid through December 31, 2023. If you don’t yet have a Limited Use State Park Pass for 2023, it might not be worth buying one at this point since it would only be usable from September 8, 2023 through December 31, 2023.
Click here for more information on State Park passes. The Limited Use Senior State Park Pass is near the bottom of the web page.