Sailor Bar, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Friday, July 15, 8:15am-11:00am, Sailor Bar, ARP
Sailor Bar holds a mix of oak woodlands, riparian habitat and is bathed in sunshine. We’ll meet at the parking lot near Turtle Pond. We’ll start the walk with a loop around the pond but not climb the oak covered hillsides above the pond. We’ll then make clockwise loop along dirt roads to the river and then along a path above the riverbank before looping back to the parking area. There is not a large variety of native plants currently in bloom, but we will see Centromadia fitchii, Croton setigerus, Datura wrightii, Eriogonum gracile or Eriogonum roseum, Madia elegans, Mentzelia laevicaulis, and Pseudognaphalium beneolens in bloom. M. elegans will be seen throughout most of the exposed areas of the walk. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
To sign up for the July 15 Sailor Bar Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Bring water, snack, hat, sun protection and light clothing. Most of the walk will be in bright sunshine.
Parking is $6 or use an Annual Parks Passport. Look for the new $30 Senior Annual Pass if you are 65 or over.
Meet at the Sailor Bar pond parking area, the teardrop on the linked map.
Directions to Sailor Bar from downtown:
– Travel east on Highway 50 to Exit #21
– North on Hazel Avenue
– After crossing the bridge, turn left on Winding Way (second light after the bridge).
– Turn left at Illinois Ave and drive into the parkway.
– Even if the Entrance Kiosk is unmanned, be sure to self-register your vehicle or use your Parks Annual Pass.
– Turn right into the parking are at the bottom of the hill about 150 yards past the kiosk.
There are no rest facilities at the meeting area. There are rest facilities further past the pond area near the boat launch which we will pass about halfway through the walk.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 8:30am.
The $60 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More information is on-line. There is also a new $30 Senior Citizen Vehicle Pass for those 65 and older. The Senior Citizen Pass must be purchased in person and only at select locations.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 8:30am.