East Lake Natoma, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader.
Note the change to Summer Hours meeting an hour earlier until Labor Day
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, June 23, 8:30-11:15am, East Lake Natoma, Folsom SRA
Enjoy an early summer walk along the SE side of Lake Natoma. We head west to Willow Creek which is a 4.25 miles round trip. There is a mix of native and non-native plants along with a very slight chance to see our national bird perching on the other side of the lake. Several native plants are in bloom including Acmispon glaber, Aesculus californica, Brodiaea elegans, Chlorogalum pomeridianum, Clarkia unguiculata, Croton setigerus, Diplacus aurantiacus, Erigeron foliosus, Eriophyllum lanatum, Heteromeles arbutifolia, Keckiella breviflora, Madia elegans, Monardella villosa, Phacelia imbricata, Pseudognaphalium californicum, Rosa californica, Sambucus mexicana and Wyethia angustifolia. Binoculars will be useful for bird sightings. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456. This will be our first Friday Walk at East Lake Natoma in 18 months.
Bring water, hat, snack, sun protection and and a layer to shed along the way. The trail is gentle.
Parking is free on this residential street.
Meet near the teardrop on the linked map or use the directions below.
East Lake Natoma Trail access directions from downtown Sacramento:
– US 50 east to Folsom Blvd., exit #23.
– Left at the traffic light onto Folsom Blvd.
– East on Folsom Blvd for 2.7 miles to the Forrest St.-Natoma St. traffic signal
– Left onto Forrest St.
– Continue on Forrest St. passing the cemetery.
– Continue straight when you first see Young Wo Circle on your left. (Part of the circle)
– Turn left at the long black iron fence onto the other end of Young Wo Circle.
– Park near the trail entrance at the end of the iron fence.
– Try to park on the fence side of this residential street.
This is one of the few walks starting near a light rail station. The Folsom Light Rail station is about 0.6 miles away.
Meet the near the trail entrance.
There are no facilities available at the meeting location, but there are at the Willow Creek parking area if we go that far.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 8:45 am heading west on the trail by Lake Natoma.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
If you don’t yet have a 2023 Electronic Liability Waiver, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 8:45am.