River Bend Park, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. Only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Friday, August 26, 8:15am-11:00am, River Bend Park, ARP
The August 26 walk will head upriver on the bluff trail overlooking the river and continue to Cordova Creek. The return will be through the old camp area and central part of River Bend back to the meeting area. Some native plants are in bloom including Artemisia dracunculus, Asclepias fascicularis, Asclepias speciosa, Baccharis salicifolia, Brickellia californica, Croton setigerus, Eriogonum nudum, Madia elegans and Pseudognaphalium beneolens though just barely for the milkweeds. We’ll walk along the river to the Cordova Creek Restoration area and return through the camping area. Due to low winter rains, not as many plants have bloomed as in most years.
Bring water, hat, sun protection, snack, and seasonal layers. Binoculars might help for viewing plants close to the river from the bluff.
There are rest facilities at the meeting area and a few other spots withing River Bend Park.
To sign up for the August 26 River Bend Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Meet near the teardrop on this map or use the directions below. If you haven’t been to River Bend Park before, check the linked map as newcomers often miss the last turn into the large picnic and parking area which is just upriver for the bike and pedestrian bridge between River Bend Park and William Pond recreation Area.
Directions to River Bend Park from downtown Sacramento:
– Travel East on Highway 50 to Exit #13
– Take Bradshaw Rd North
– Right at Folsom Blvd, just past the Light Rail tracks
– Left at Rod Beaudry Dr and continue into the park. There is a Papa John‘s Pizza on the NE corner of this intersection.
– Pass the entrance Kiosk if unmanned. There is an electronic payment station about 80 feet after the kiosk on your right.
– Continue on the road after the stop sign for the bike trail. The road curves right after the stop sign.
– Left at the large brown “River Rafting Exit and Main Picnic Areas” on your left.
– Follow this road around to the large parking lot close to the river where we will meet.
If you live on the north side of the American River, it might be quicker and easier to park at William Pond Recreation Area and walk over the bridge to River Bend Park.
There are rest facilities at the meeting location.
Parking is $6 or purchase a yearly $60 Parks Passport pass which supports the Sacramento County Parks system. There is also a new $30 Senior Pass (over 65) per year. More Pass information is on-line.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 8:30am.