River Bend Park, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover Sacramento Valley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. Only four new participants to Friday Walks can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, January 27, 9:15am-11:30am, River Bend Park, ARP
The January 27 walk will head upriver on the bluff trail overlooking the river and return through the old camp area and Buckwheat gulch, then back along the bike trail to the meeting area. No native plants were seen in bloom Monday morning. We will mostly be looking for signs of new leaf growth for next year.
Bring water, hat, snacks, and seasonal layers especially wind breakers for the section near the river. Binoculars might help for viewing wildlife living in this urban refuge.
There are rest facilities at the meeting area and a few other spots withing River Bend Park.
To sign up for the January 27 River Bend Walk and receive the link for the 2023 Friday Walks Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Meet near the red teardrop on this map or use the directions below. If you haven’t been to River Bend Park before, check the linked map as newcomers often miss the last turn into the large picnic and parking area which is just upriver for the bike and pedestrian bridge between River Bend Park and William Pond recreation Area.
Directions to River Bend Park from downtown Sacramento:
– Travel East on Highway 50 to Exit #13
– Take Bradshaw Rd North
– Right at Folsom Blvd, just past the Light Rail tracks
– Left at Rod Beaudry Dr and continue into the park. There is a Papa John‘s Pizza on the NE corner of this intersection.
– Pass the entrance Kiosk if unmanned. There is an electronic payment station about 80 feet after the kiosk on your right.
– Continue on the road after the stop sign for the bike trail. The road curves right after the stop sign.
– Left at the large brown “River Rafting Exit and Main Picnic Areas” on your left.
– Follow this road around to the large parking lot close to the river where we will meet.
If you live on the north side of the American River, it might be quicker and easier to park at William Pond Recreation Area and walk over the bridge to River Bend Park.
There are rest facilities at the meeting location and another one a little over half way through the walk.
Parking is $6 or purchase a yearly $60 Parks Passport pass which supports the Sacramento County Parks system. There is also a new $30 Senior Pass (over 65) per year. More Pass information is on-line.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.