Nimbus Hatchery & Upper Sunrise, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
Following an 18-month hiatus of Friday Walks returned in July, of 2021. To gather safely, however, some new rules were needed to gather safely.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks. It does not cover Sacramento Valley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year (2024) in this case.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and 2 leaders.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Monday, January 1, 10:30am-12:45am, Nimbus Hatchery & Upper Sunrise, ARP
Join Chris Lewis for a New Years Day walk from Nimbus Hatchery through the eastern section of the Upper Sunrise area of the American River Parkway. We will walk down river on trails along the bluff overlooking the river, turn around near Chris’ meadow and retrace our way back to the hatchery. An update of Native Plants showing new growth or possibly even some in bloom will be added a few days before Christmas. There will be an optional half hour or more to view to the Nimbus Hatchery, the new fish ladder and the hatcheries many informative displays and operations at the end of the walk. If you would like to join the walk Email John Schmidt for more information and a waiver if needed.
Bring water, hat, snack, and appropriate weather protection.
Parking is free at the Nimbus Hatchery visitor parking lot.
If you have not been to the Nimbus Hatchery before, you may wish to look at the Google map for an overall view location and the hatchery layout.
Directions to Nimbus Hatchery from downtown Sacramento:
– Travel east on Highway 55 to Hazel Avenue, exit 21
– Left at Hazel Avenue
– Left at Gold Country Blvd, the traffic light just before the Hazel Avenue bridge over river.
– Right at Nimbus Rd about 50 yards after turning on to Gold Country Blvd. from Hazel Avenue.
– Go down Nimbus Rd, stopping at the bike trail and then drive into the large hatchery visitor parking lot.
– Meet in the Nimbus Hatchery parking lot at the far end close to the river.
It might be crowded since this is New Years Day and also the opening day of fishing season in the Upper American River.
There are rest facilities inside the Visitor center as well as some portable rest facilities near the fish runways.
If you have not already completed a 2024 Friday Walks Liability Waiver, you will be sent one along with directions for completing the waiver form.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 10:30am along the dirt trail above the river, which can easily be seen in the Google map link above.