Nimbus Flat, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
It’s been over 2 years since Friday Walks resumed, but we still need to follow new rules to gather safely.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year, 2024 in this case. Email John Schmidt to receive a Waiver form if you don’t yet have one for 2024 Friday Walks.
- The walk limit is 20 participants and one leader.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, February 16, 9:15am-11:45am, Nimbus Flat, Folsom SRA
Note: If this is your first Friday Walk in 2024 read the Waiver and Sign-up section at the top of the Friday Walks page.
Join us for a winter walk along the south shoreline of Lake Natoma from near Nimbus Dam to the bluff about 1/4 mile east of the the old pump station on Lake Natoma. Most of the walk is very flat on dirt or the bike trail with a mix of sun and shade except for the short rocky climb up to the bluff after the old pump station. This walk was scouted about 10 days ago and only the only native plant seen in blooming is Micranthes californica. We will be taking a slightly different path than normal. We’ll start over towards the metal fishing and viewing platform in the NE corner near the eastern end of the beach area. We’ll follow this trail about 200 yards and then head over to the normal path as it curves by the large open field where downed tree branches are sometimes piled up to composting. Check the satellite view of the meeting area to see the platform and path. For more information email John Schmidt or cell phone 916-500-8456.
Bring water, sunscreen, snack, hat, and an extra layer for a cold morning. The forecast is for a dry Friday.
Parking at Nimbus Flat is $12 or use a State Park Pass. If you haven’t been to Nimbus Flat before you might want to check the linked map below.
Meet at the smaller second Nimbus Flat parking lot. There is a short road separating the main parking lot from the back parking lot. There are rest facilities adjacent to both parking lots.
Use the directions below or meet near the red teardrop on the linked map.
Driving directions from Sacramento.
– Travel east on Highway 50.
– Take exit 21 – Hazel Avenue.
– Pass the first traffic light at Hwy 50 West exit and Tributary Point Dr.
– Take the first right after the traffic light at the sign for Nimbus Flat and the Park and Ride lot.
– Pass the entrance kiosk. Self-register if no one is there.
– Follow the park road along the edge of the first parking lot.
– At the second Stop sign about two-thirds of the way around turn right and follow this road into the second parking area.
– Meet at the far end past the rest facilities.
There is also a free Park and Ride at Hazel Avenue about 50 yards from the entrance kiosk at Nimbus Flat. It’s about a 12 minute walk from the Park and Ride to the meeting location.
There is a Golden Bear Limited Use State Park Pass (62 and older)information. This pass will be useful on Friday Walks except from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend.
The Gold District Field Office of California State Parks is one location where you can purchase a Golden Bear Limited Use State Park Pass (62 and older). The $20 Limited Use State Park Pass is valid through December 31, 2024 for California State Parks. Some many of the Friday Walks will be at Folsom SRA access areas Nimbus Flat, Black Miners Bar, Salmon Falls, Brown’s Ravine, Beals Point, Granite Bay and Horseshoe Bar. Friday Walks might visit Quarry Trail or North Fork Dam Trail in Auburn SRA, though the recent Bridge Fire might exclude these areas. Regular daily parking in these areas is $12/day. Click here for more information on State Park passes. The Limited Use Passes are at the bottom of the web page.
There are restroom facilities about 30 yards from the meeting location.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 9:30am.
You can call or text John Schmidt at 916-500-8456 if needed.