Mississippi Bar East, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, July 21, 8:15am-10:45am, Mississippi Bar East, Folsom SRA
Note: If this is your first Friday Walk in 2023 read the Waiver and Sign-up section at the top of the Friday Walks page.
Mississippi Bar is on the north side of Lake Natoma. Today we’ll explore the eastern section of this bar walking east to the base of Snipes Ravine. Most of the trail heading east is in the shade. Parts of the return will be in less shady areas and cross sections of river cobble where a walking stick might be useful for some. This will be our first walk here in over 3 years. A flower report will be added after scouting Tuesday morning. For more information or to receive an Electronic Liability Waiver email John Schmidt or cell phone 916-500-8456. You must email if this is your first Friday Walk of 2023 in order to receive the Liability Waiver
Bring extra water, sunscreen, snack, a protective layer and hat. The forecast is for hot weather Friday, though it will be cool when we start the walk.
There are NO rest facilities at the meeting area, though there are at the Shadow Glen Riding Stables.
Parking is free.
Meet at the Snowberry Trail Equestrian Staging Area just west of the Shadow Glen Riding Stables at Main and Sunset in Orangevale. Google maps refers to this as the Snowberry Creek Assembly Area.
Use the directions below or at the teardrop on the map.
Driving directions to Snowberry Trail Equestrian Staging area from Sacramento:
– Travel east on Highway 50 to Hazel Ave exit 21
– North on Hazel Avenue
– East on Sunset Avenue, 4th traffic light after Hazel Ave Bridge
– Follow Sunset Ave east past Phoenix Park and down an oak-lined hill
– At the bottom of the hill the road turns left and becomes Main Ave.
– Continue on Main Ave about 200 yards until you see the Shadow Glen Riding Stable on your right.
– Turn right here and then immediately to your right will be the entrance to the Snowberry Trail Equestrian Staging Area.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 8:30am.