Miner’s Ravine, Roseville, May 5
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. At this time only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, May 5, 9:15am-11:45am, Miner’s Ravine, Roseville
This will be the first Friday Walk to Miner’s Ravine since 2019. The walk will be almost entirely on a well-paved bike path with narrow shoulders. Spring flowers will be in bloom all along the way. Native plants in bloom included Cercis occidentalis, Dipterostemon capitatus, Eschscholzia californica, Lupinus nanus, Triteleia hyacinthina and Triteleia laxa. Most of these are nearing the end of their blooming stage. The path is fairly gentle and shaded as we climb up the ravine before turning around near the Orvietto access point and following the same trail back to the meeting area. Along the way is one fenced off Maidu grinding stone area. Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, and weather protection. You will need to be alert for cyclists on the paved path since there is not much of a shoulder along the sides of the path.
We’ll meet at the United Artist Miner’s Ravine parking area. Parking is free.
Use the directions below or the linked map. If you are not familiar with this area, check the map out. Many of the streets in this area curve around and sometimes cross each other.
Directions from downtown Sacramento or use the linked map: We meet near the Red teardrop labeled Roseville, CA 95661
– US 80 east to Taylor Rd/Eureka Rd. , Exit #105A.
– Right onto Eureka Rd. as you approach the first traffic at the intersection of Atlantic, Taylor and Eureka.
– Left onto N. Sunrise Ave. (The first traffic signal after turning onto Eureka Rd.)
– Left into the large United Arts Olympic Pointe parking area. (1st left after turning onto N. Sunrise Blvd.)
– Follow this down to the lower right corner of the large parking area. There are signs near the trailhead for Miner’s Ravine parking.
Please try to be on time. We’ll meet at 9:15am and start walking at 9:30am. There are no rest facilities at the trailhead, nor at any place along the after scouting Sunday morning.
Email John Schmidt for more information or call 916-500-8456.
If this is your first Friday Walk of 2023, be sure to bring your signed 2023 Friday Walks waiver with you.
To sign up for the May 5 Miner’s Ravine Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.