Lower Sunrise, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, November 4, 9:15am-11:45am, Lower Sunrise, ARP
Meet at Lower Sunrise for a walk westward towards El Manto along the bluff above the American River. This is one of the shadier walks along the parkway. We’ll see a few native plants still in bloom including Baccharis pilularis ssp. consanguinea, Brickellia californica, Heterotheca grandiflora, Madia elegans, and Rosa californica. This will be an out and back on the same trail. If river flows are not too high, we’ll take an optional side detour down to the exposed riverbed on the way back. The walk will be about 3.0 miles, almost all level and 3/4 of the walk will be in shade. Email John Schmidt for more information or phone 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, and weather protection.
Binoculars will be useful for bird observations. Some may want a walking stick for the optional side trip to the river’s edge.
Meet at the teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
Directions to Lower Sunrise from downtown:
– Travel east on Highway 50 to Sunrise Blvd exit 18
– North on Sunrise Boulevard
– After passing Gold Country Road, turn right on South Bridge Street
– Drive past American River Raft Rentals and the fenced raft parking area into the Parkway passing the Entrance Kiosk
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($5) unless you have a Parks Annual Pass.
– Turn left at the Stop sign
– You’ll drive under Sunrise Blvd, stop at a stop sign for the bike trail, and then find us in the large parking area near the restrooms.
For those living north of the American River, it might be quicker to park at Sacramento Bar and take the 3 minute walk across the bike and pedestrian bridge to Lower Sunrise.
To sign up for the November 4 Lower Sunrise Walk and receive the link for the 2022 Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Parking is $5 or use an Annual Parks Passport.
The $50 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. If you are over 65 there is also a special $30 Senior Pass. More Pass information is on-line.
There are rest facilities at the parking area and we’ll pass another along the walk.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.