Harrington Access, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover Sacramento Valley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. Only four new participants to Friday Walks can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, December 16, 9:15am-11:45am, Harrington Access, ARP
Join our visit to the section of the American River Parkway on the north side of the American River across from the Gristmill area. We’ll walk west toward Watt Ave on the open bluff above the river passing through extensive rehabilitation areas and return on the same path. There will be no scouting report for this walk. At this time of year very few native plants will be in bloom, so we will mostly be looking for signs of new leaf growth for next year. The bluffs provide some views of the river and waterfowl. The walk is very open and can be windy. The terrain is mostly flat.
To sign up for the December 16 Harrington Access Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Bring water, hat, snacks, and seasonal layers. Binoculars might help for viewing wildlife living in this urban refuge.
Parking is $6 or purchase a yearly $60 Parks Passport pass which supports the Sacramento County Parks system. There is also a new $30 Senior Pass (over 65) per year. More Pass information is on-line.
Meet near the teardrop on this map or use the directions below.
Harrington Access directions from downtown Sacramento
– Take Highway 50 East to Watt Ave, exit #11
– North on Watt Ave
– Right at American River Drive, first exit after crossing the bridge over the river
– Right on to American River Drive about 14 blocks passing Rio Americano High School
– Right at Harrington Way/Kingsford Drive. There is a stop sign. Note there is a street name change at this intersection. Left it is Kingsford Drive, right it is Harrington Way with the sign obscured by a tree.
– Stay on Harrington Way into the parkway
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($5) unless you have an annual Parks Passport.
– Meet at the parking area on your right facing the river.
Harrington Access directions from northeast part of county
– West on Fair Oaks Blvd.
– Left at Arden Way (same as going to William Pond)
– Right onto Kingsford Dr. (Stop sign on Arden Way, also brown/white sign for Harrington River Access)
– Straight at intersection with American River Dr. which becomes Harrington Way across the intersection.
– Follow Harrington Way into the parkway
Be sure not to leave valuables in plain sight in your parked vehicle.
There are rest facilities at the parking area.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.