Hagan Park to Rossmoor, ARP
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Monarch on Euthamia occidentalis
Friday, October 6, 2023, 9:15-12:00pm, Hagan Park to Rossmoor, ARP
This will be our first walk from Hagan Park to Rossmoor since 2019 over 4 years ago. We will walk across Hagan Park and follow a dirt trail between the river and the bike trail up to Rossmoor and return along the bike trail to Hagan Park. Along the way we will see riverbed gravel restoration work of the American River on the Ancil Hoffman side of the river. This work is similar to the gravel restoration work we saw last fall in the Upper Sunrise area. This will be a longer than normal Friday Walk about 4.5 miles total if we go all the way to Rossmoor. A few native plants are still in bloom including Croton setiger, Epilobium brachycarpum, Erigeron canadensis, Eschscholzia californica, Euthamia occidentalis, Heterotheca grandiflora, Heterotheca oregona, and Holocarpha virgata. There are some waterfowl along the river and a few deer were seen Monday morning. Binoculars might be useful. Email John Schmidt for more information or if you are new to Friday Walks and need a waiver. You can call John (916-500-8456) for information but need to email for a waiver.
Bring water, hat, snack, sun protection and and a layer to shed along the way. The trail is mostly gentle but a walking stick might be useful for some in areas that drop down to the river’s edge and back up.
Parking is free in the lot across from the entrance to Soil Born Farms and our nursery.
Meet near the RED teardrop on the linked map or use the directions below.
Hagan Park directions from downtown Sacramento:
From downtown Sacramento:
– Drive east on Highway 50 to Mather Field Rd exit #15.
– North on Mather Field Rd.
– Right on Folsom Blvd. Just past the Light Rail tracks.
– Left onto Coloma Rd (2nd traffic light east of Mather Field Rd).
– Left at Chase Dr. (2nd traffic light from Folsom Blvd and same turn as going to the nursery)
– Right into the parking lot across from the Soil Born Farms & Nursery entrance just before the entrance to Hagan Community Park.
Meet in the parking lot.
There are no facilities available at the meeting location, but we will pass some walking across Hagan Park. There are also facilities at Rossmoor if we walk that far.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 9:30 am heading across Hagan Park and pass rest facilities within Hagan Park.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
If you don’t yet have a 2023 Electronic Liability Waiver, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 9:30am.