A late summer wildflower walk at Beal’s Point in a drought year seldom happens. This year the extremely low lake level is covered with almost a forest of Canada horseweed, Telegraph weed, Autum willow herb and other plants. Our walk will traverse this section of Folsom Lake that is normally covered with water. Some of the plants now in bloom include sandworts, Ammannia, and Spanish lotus. Past bloom are Button bush and a surprising find of Seep spring monkeyflower. While scouting last week a Great Blue heron, Egret and killdeer were spotted in wetter sections. We’ll also see old tree stumps and evidence of some buildings that existed before Folsom Dam was built near the point of Beal’s Point.
There are shaded picnic tables are near the meeting location. For more information, email John Schmidt or phone 916-500-8456.
Bring extra water, hat, snack, and sun protection. Most of the footing will be sandy or dry trails. There is some old granite and quartz areas to cross, but the only steep section is about a 20 feet section to climb up to the road from the lake bed. A walking stick might be useful to some in this one section.
Park entrance fee is $12 or a current State Park Pass. More info on state park passes is here. If you’re over 62, check out the Limited Use Golden Bear Pass. Note: There is a State Park Field office that issues the Limited Use Golden Bear Pass about 1 miles south of the Beal’s Point entrance on Folsom Auburn Rd. and it opens at 9:00am.
Meet at the Beal’s Point picnic area in Folsom SRA.
See the map with teardrop or directions below.
Directions of downtown Sacramento
- US 50 east to Folsom Blvd. Exit #23.
- Left at the traffic light onto Folsom Blvd.
- Proceed east on Folsom Blvd over Natoma Crossing Bridge.
- Go straight at the traffic light just past the bridge. You’ll now be on Folsom-Auburn Rd.
- Follow Folsom-Auburn Rd. north to the 6th light at Oak Hill Dr. and Beals Point.
- Turn right into Beals Point, pass the entrance kiosk and continue to the main parking area. Self-register for the entrance fee if the booth is unmanned and you don’t have a pass.
- Turn left as soon as you enter the parking area. We’ll meet in the northwest corner near the picnic tables under the trees.
There are restroom facilities about 100 yards from the meeting location which we will walk past at the start of the walk.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 9:30am.