Beals Point, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover Sacramento Valley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. Only four new participants to Friday Walks can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, February 3, 9:15am-11:45am, Beals Point, Folsom SRA
Join us for a winter wildflower walk at Beal’s Point in this rainy year. A few native plants are starting to bloom and new leaf growth will help us ID other native plants. This section of Folsom Lake has a good southern exposure which enhances early growth and blooming. Natives in bloom currently include Marah fabacea, Micranthes californica, and Ceanothus cuneatus.
There are shaded picnic tables near the meeting location. For more information to join this walk and receive a waiver, email John Schmidt or phone 916-500-8456.
Bring extra water, hat, snack, and weather protection. Most of the walk will be on new trails or service roads. There is one climb of about 60 feet up a road.
Park entrance fee is $12 or a current State Park Pass. More info on state park passes is here. If you’re over 62, check out the Limited Use Golden Bear Pass. Note: There is a State Park Field office that issues the Limited Use Golden Bear Pass about 1 miles south of the Beal’s Point entrance on Folsom Auburn Rd. and it opens at 9:00am.
Meet at the Beal’s Point picnic area in Folsom SRA.
See the map with a teardrop at the meeting location or use the directions below.
Directions of downtown Sacramento
- US 50 east to Folsom Blvd. Exit #23.
- Left at the traffic light onto Folsom Blvd.
- Proceed east on Folsom Blvd over Natoma Crossing Bridge.
- Go straight at the traffic light just past the bridge. You’ll now be on Folsom-Auburn Rd.
- Follow Folsom-Auburn Rd. north to the 6th light at Oak Hill Dr. and Beals Point.
- Turn right into Beals Point, pass the entrance kiosk and continue to the main parking area. Self-register for the entrance fee if the booth is unmanned and you don’t have a pass.
- Turn left as soon as you enter the main parking area. We’ll meet in the northwest corner near the picnic tables under the trees.
There are restroom facilities about 100 yards from the meeting location.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking by 9:30am.