Falcon Crest Sweetwater Trail, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening.
Friday, October 28, 9:30am – 12:30pm, Falcons Crest Sweetwater Trail, Folsom SRA
Sweetwater Creek Trail is off Salmon Falls Rd and heads out to the South Fork of the American River. A number of plants not seen in the valley floor will be encountered. Among the plants in bloom last Saturday were Acmispon americanus var. americanus, Cephalanthus occidentalis var. californicus, Centromadia fitchii, Croton setigerus, Erythranthe guttata, Garrya congdonii (just starting to flower), Heterotheca grandiflora, Madia elegans, Persicaria sp., Pseudognaphalium beneolens, and Trichostema lanceolatum, Xanthium strumarium. We’ll try to identify the Persicaria species. The old Salmon Falls Bridge is above water and we might cross over it. This is a mostly level and partially shaded walk. For more information, to sign-up for this trip, if you need a Waiver or have other questions email John Schmidt or phone 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, layered protection and snacks. We will make 2 short boulder-assisted crossings of Sweetwater Creek, so a hiking stick might be useful. The water level is not a problem but the sloping stream bank is about 4 feet high.
There is parking at the Old Sweetwater Assembly Area trailhead for about 20 cars.
Parking is $10 or use your State Park Pass. Click here for more info on state park passes. If you are over 62, check out the $20 Limited Use Golden Bear Pass. Note that the 2022 Golden Bear Limited Use Pass will be valid through December 31, 2023. Check the web link above.
Meet at the teardrop on this map or use the directions below. It’s about 30 minutes from Sunrise and Hwy 50 to the meeting area.
Driving directions from Sacramento:
– Travel east on Highway 50
– Take exit 30B -El Dorado Hills Blvd.
– Drive north on El Dorado Hills for about 3.5 miles to Green Valley Rd.
– As you cross Green Valley Rd at 3.5 miles it becomes Salmon Falls Rd.
– Follow Salmon Falls Rd. right toward Pilot Hill at the fork ¼ mile past Green Valley Rd.
– Continue on Salmon Falls Rd about 3.5 miles and at the curve at the top of the hill just past a Yellow warning sign of a 35 mph right hand curve will be Falcons Crest (mainly used as a horse assembly area) on your left.
– Turn into Falcons Crest assembly. Take the obscure road down to the meeting area is at the northern end of this parking area. Be sure to check the linked Google map if you are not familiar with this area.
– If you pass it, you might need to drive over ½ miles further to find a turnaround area, so be sure to check the linked map. Street View has photos of a mostly empty Falcons Crest.
There is a rest facility available at the trailhead.
If you are interested in meeting with other Friday Walker in El Dorado Hills at 9:10am and riding sharing to Sweetwater, email John.
Please try to be on time. We will start walking at 9:45am.