El Manto to Rossmoor, ARP, April 7
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
It’s been over a year since Friday Walks resumed, but we still need to follow new rules to gather safely.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year, 2023 in this case.
- The walk limit is being increased to 20 participants and one leader.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, April 7, 9:15am-11:45am, El Manto, ARP
El Manto is the sunniest walk we take along the parkway. Most of the plants here thrive in sunlight. The path taken also has the longest section of river cobble crossed on Friday Walks, almost a third of the walk. Among the natives currently in bloom are Amsinckia sp?, Aristolochia californica, Claytonia parviflora, Claytonia perfoliata, Dipterostemon capitatus, Eschscholzia caespitosa, Eschscholzia californica, Lithophragma sp? (well over 60 individual woodland star were seen Saturday), Marah fabacea, Phacelia cicutaria, Plagiobothrys sp?, Thysanocarpus curvipes. We might try to key out a couple of these, though mature seeds are often needed. The walk will be about 3 miles total. There is little shade on most of this walk. For more information, email John Schmidt or phone 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, weather protection and sturdy shoes. A walking stick would be useful on the long river cobble section.
Meet at the first parking area on your right about 100 yards past the entrance kiosk.
Use the map with a teardrop at the meeting location or the directions below.
From downtown Sacramento:
– Drive east on Highway 50 to Sunrise Blvd exit #18.
– North on Sunrise Blvd.
– Left on Coloma Rd.
– Right onto El Manto Dr. (4th traffic light west of Sunrise).
– Continue on El Manto Dr. entering the parkway in 4 blocks.
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($6) unless you have an annual Parks Passport.
– Turn right into the first parking area about 75 yards after the entrance kiosk.
There are portable facilities at the meeting location and others at Rossmoor Bar if we go that far.
If this is your first Friday Walk of 2023, be sure to bring your signed 2023 Friday Walks waiver with you.
Parking is $6 or use your Parks Annual Pass.
To sign up for the April 7 El Manto Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
The $60 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line. There is also a new $30 Senior Citizen Vehicle Pass for those 62 and older. The Senior Citizen Pass must be purchased in person and only at select locations.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.