El Manto to Rossmoor, ARP, August 5
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
It’s been over a year since Friday Walks resumed, but we still need to follow new rules to gather safely.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year, 2022 in this case.
- The walk limit is being increased to 20 participants and one leader.
Walks held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening if heavy rain is in the forecast.
Friday, August 5, 8:15am-11:15am, El Manto to Rossmoor, ARP
El Manto is the sunniest walk we take along the parkway. Most of the plants here thrive in sunlight. It’s been a few years since we walked from EL Manto to the western end of Rossmoor Bar. The reward for this extra distance is seeing a small patch of Asclepias fascicularis in bloom. Among the natives currently in bloom are Artemisia douglasiana, Croton setiger, Eriogonum nudum, Eriogonum roseum, Eriogonum wrightii, Eschscholzia californica, Heterotheca grandiflora, Heterotheca oregona, Holocarpha virgata, Lessingia glandulifera, Mentzelia laevicaulis and Pseudognaphalium beneolens. The western Rossmoor section holds the possibility of seeing deer and coyotes, both of which were seem while scouting Monday. The walk will be about 3.5 miles total. On the return from Rossmoor there is a T-junction which offers a straight walk back to the bike trail. Many may prefer this shorter route. Some may wish to take the optional return along very cobbled road which holds the Blazing star, Wright’s and Nude Buckwheat, which is about 1/2 mile longer. There is little shade on most of this walk. For more information, email John Schmidt or phone 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, sun protection and sturdy shoes. A walking stick would be useful if you wish to take the optional return along the heavily cobbled section.
Meet at the first parking area on your right about 100 yards past the entrance kiosk.
Use the map with a teardrop at the meeting location or the directions below.
From downtown Sacramento:
– Drive east on Highway 50 to Sunrise Blvd exit #18.
– North on Sunrise Blvd.
– Left on Coloma Rd.
– Right onto El Manto Dr. (4th traffic light west of Sunrise).
– Continue on El Manto Dr. entering the parkway in 4 blocks.
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($6) unless you have an annual Parks Passport.
– Turn right into the first parking area about 75 yards after the entrance kiosk.
There are portable facilities at the meeting location and others at Rossmoor Bar.
If this is your first Friday Walk of 2022, be sure to bring your signed 2022 Friday Walks waiver with you.
Parking is $6 or use your Parks Annual Pass.
To sign up for the August 5 El Manto Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
The $60 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line. There is also a new $30 Senior Citizen Vehicle Pass for those 62 and older. The Senior Citizen Pass must be purchased in person and only at select locations.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 8:30am.