El Manto, ARP, April 29
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
Friday Walks have now been held for the last 9 months following an 18-month hiatus. To gather safely, however, we need to still follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
Walks held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday evening if heavy rain is in the forecast.
Friday, April 29, 9:15am-11:45am, El Manto, ARP
El Manto is the sunniest walk we take along the parkway. Most of the plants here thrive in sunlight. Among the natives currently in heavy bloom are Miniature, Sky and Spider lupines along with California poppy. A Clarkia unguiculata and C. amoena were also seen along with an Eriogonum umbellatum nearing bloom. A few species of popcorn flowers are in bloom along with a few stands of Yerba Santa while fiddleneck is past bloom. Some Blue Elderberry are also blooming. Almost no Madia elegans were seen while scouting this walk. We’ll walk to the San Juan Rapids section then head downriver possibly as far as the Rossmoor area and return along the same road making a shortcut back to the meeting area that avoids the long, heavy gravel area traversed on the way to San Juan Rapids. The walk will be about 2.5 miles total. Over ½ mile of the walk will be on significant river cobble. There is little shade on this stroll. For more information, email John Schmidt or phone 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, sun protection and sturdy shoes. A walking stick might be useful on the cobble section.
Meet at the first parking area on your right about 100 yards past the entrance kiosk.
Use the map with a teardrop at the meeting location or the directions below.
From downtown Sacramento:
– Drive east on Highway 50 to Sunrise Blvd exit #18.
– North on Sunrise Blvd.
– Left on Coloma Rd.
– Right onto El Manto Dr. (4th traffic light west of Sunrise).
– Continue on El Manto Dr. entering the parkway in 4 blocks.
– Even if no one is working at the Entrance Kiosk, be sure to self-register your vehicle ($6) unless you have an annual Parks Passport.
– Turn right into the first parking area about 75 yards after the entrance kiosk.
There are portable facilities at the meeting location and others at Rossmoor if we walk that far.
If this is your first Friday Walk of 2022, be sure to bring your signed 2022 Friday Walks waiver with you.
Parking is $6 or use your Parks Annual Pass.
To sign up for the April 29 El Manto Walk and receive the link for the Electronic Liability Waiver if needed, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456 for more information.
Binoculars will be useful for bird observations.
The $60 Parks Passport supports your County Parks system. More Pass information is on-line. There is also a new $30 Senior Citizen Vehicle Pass for those 62 and older. The Senior Citizen Pass must be purchased in person and only at select locations.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll try to start walking at 9:30am.