Black Miners Bar Lake Natoma, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover Sacramento Valley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the Sacramento Valley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. Only four new participants to Friday Walks can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
- Almost everyone will need a new 2024 Limited Liability Waiver since this is only the third Friday Walk of 2024.
Walks are held unless heavy rain, extreme heat or very poor air quality are forecast. Cancellation notices posted by 7PM Thursday.
Friday, January 12, 9:15am-11:45am, Black Miners Bar, Folsom SRA
Join us for a walk from Black Miners Bar climbing to the bluff over Lake Natoma and continue westward to the base of Snipes Ravine. The return is along the bike trail at the base of the bluff. The forecast is for a dry Friday morning. A plant report will be posted by Wednesday, though there may not be any plants yet in bloom. The walk is about 3.5 miles.
For a 2024 Limited Liability Waiver and more information, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456. Many of the regular Friday Walkers were already sent a waiver for 2024 on December 27.
Bring water, hat, snack, sun, wind, and rain protection. A walking stick might be needed for the trail up to the top of the bluff and the return down to the bike trail.
Park entrance fee is $12 or a current State Park Pass.
See the map with a Red teardrop at the meeting location or use the directions below.
Directions of downtown Sacramento:
– US 50 east to Folsom Blvd., Exit #23.
– Left at the traffic light onto Folsom Blvd.
– Proceed east on Folsom Blvd over Natoma Crossing Bridge.
– Left at the traffic light just past the bridge, turning onto Greenback Lane.
– Left at the 1st left turn lane on Greenback which is signed Negro Bar entrance, about 0.3 miles from the bridge.
– Pass the entrance kiosk. Be sure to Self-register for the entrance fee if the booth is unmanned and you don’t have a pass.
– Drive straight down the hill into the first main parking area. Don’t turn at the road fork about 30 feet after the kiosk.
– Continue to the Stop sign at the bike trail with the large parking area on the other side of the bike trail.
– Once in this main lot turn right then follow the road west to the picnic and beach parking area.
– We will meet in the south side of the parking area. Check the map directions if you haven’t been to Black Miner’s Bar before.
There are restroom facilities about 20 yards from the meeting location and more at the picnic and beach area.
More information on State Park passes is here. If you’re over 62, check out the Limited Use Golden Bear Pass.
2024 Limited Use Golden Bear Passes are valid through all of 2024, except from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend of 2024.
The 2024 State Park Limited Use Golden Bear Pass can be purchased at the Folsom Field office about 2.5 miles from the Browns Ravine. Their office opens at 8:am and is a convenient location to purchase the $20 State Park Limited Use Golden Bear Pass for 2024. Allow about 15 minutes to complete the application and for park personnel to complete the transaction. The limited Use Golden Bear Pass is not valid from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 9:30am.