Black Miners Bar Lake Natoma, Folsom SRA
Waiver and Sign-Up Required
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 20 participants and one leader. Only four new participants can sign up for each walk. If you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant.
- Everyone will need a new 2023 Limited Liability Waiver since this is the first Friday Walk of 2023.
Friday, January 20, 9:15am-11:45am, Black Miners Bar, Folsom SRA
Join us for a walk from Black Miners Bar over to the Johnny Cash Trail and up canyon to the Folsom Prison fence. The walk will be on the southeast side of the river. We will be staying on a paved road and not venture down to the lower trail just above the river due to the very slippery slopes. The forecast is for a dry Friday morning. No plants were seen in bloom on Monday’s scouting. There probably be another walk in this area later in the spring. The walk is about 3.5 miles.
For a 2023 Limited Liability Waiver and more information, email John Schmidt or call 916-500-8456.
Bring water, hat, snack, sun, wind, and rain protection. A walking stick shouldn’t be needed as we will be walking along the bike trail, across the bridge and on trails that maintenance vehicles can drive on.
Park entrance fee is $12 or a current State Park Pass. If you already have a 2022 Limited Use Golden Bear Pass, it is valid for 2023 except from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend of 2023.
See the map with a teardrop at the meeting location or use the directions below.
Directions of downtown Sacramento:
– US 50 east to Folsom Blvd., Exit #23.
– Left at the traffic light onto Folsom Blvd.
– Proceed east on Folsom Blvd over Natoma Crossing Bridge.
– Left at the traffic light just past the bridge, turning onto Greenback Lane.
– Left at the 1st left turn lane on Greenback which is signed Negro Bar entrance, about 0.3 miles from the bridge.
– Pass the entrance kiosk. Be sure to Self-register for the entrance fee if the booth is unmanned and you don’t have a pass.
– Drive straight down the hill into the first main parking area. Don’t turn at the road fork about 30 feet after the kiosk.
– Continue to the Stop sign at the bike trail with the large parking area on the other side of the bike trail.
– Once in this main lot turn left then drive to the far end and park.
– We will meet in the northeast corner.
There are restroom facilities about 100 yards from the meeting location at the boat launch area.
More information on State Park passes is here. If you’re over 62, check out the Limited Use Golden Bear Pass.
2022 Limited Use Golden Bear Passes are valid through all of 2023, except from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend of 2023.
If you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. If you are not vaccinated, masks are required. Also if you are more comfortable wearing a mask, please do.
Please try to be on time. We’ll start walking at 9:30am.