Wildflower Wonders, Saturday, April 27, 2013 10am - 5pm
FREE PLANT if you join CNPS or renew your CNPS membership, then choose a plant from Elderberry Farms!
The native flora of California is unlike any other in the world. From the richly colored expanse of spring wildflowers in the desert to groves of Monterey cypress on the coast, California's wild gardens are immensely diverse and awe inspiring in their beauty. They define the landscape and offer Californians a sense of place, pride, and stability. Spend the day with our experts!
2140 Chase Dr, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 on the American River Parkway at Soil Born Farms
For further information, please contact: Chris Lewis, Event Coordinator 916 812-2876,
Please post our Poster - at your office, and ask if you can post it at your favorite grocery stores. Download the Poster.
Wildflower Show and Plant Exhibit
This year’s WW will be a showcase of native plants in their natural habitats of our greater Sacramento region. We will highlight wildflowers and plants from these local habitats: oak woodland, vernal pool & prairie, riparian woodland, and chaparral. Hundreds of fresh-cut native wildflowers, shrubs, trees, and grasses illustrate each display. Rounding out each habitat area are inspiring photographs of the landscape. Expert naturalists provide friendly and knowledgeable interpretation at each exhibit.
Plant Community Expert Naturalists
- Chaparral, Dr. John Hunter
- Oak Woodlands, Dr. Melanie Gogol-Prokurat
- Riparian Woodlands, Bonnie Ross
- Vernal Pools & Prairies, Tara Collins MORE INFORMATION
Walks & Talks
This year’s experts will start with a Talk in Soil Born’s beautiful new Outdoor Classroom. ALL THE TALK BIOS.
- 10:30 - 11:15, A Special Avian Guest, Effie Yeaw Nature Center
- 11:30 - 12:15, Soil Born Farms Tour, Shawn Harrison, Soil Born Farms Founder, Co-Director MORE INFOMATION
- 12:30 - 1:15, Protecting California's native flora in the 21st Century, Greg Suba - State CNPS Conservation Director MORE INFORMATION
- 1:30 - 2:15, Bees are Not Optional, Julie Serences MORE INFORMATION
- 2:30 - 3:15, Reciprocal Relationship - People and Plants, Dr. Michelle Stevens MORE INFORMATION
- 3:30 - 4:15, Cordova Creek Restoration, Dr. Trevor Burwell MORE INFORMATION
Once again, CNPS Chapter Nursery Elderberry Farms will team with wholesale nursery Cornflower Farms to bring you a wide variety of native plants for your garden. We will have a Gardening Expert table and a Maintenance Table - for those of you with questions about native plants already in your garden. We will also have free little Wildflower plants for the first 200 people! Plants available at WW2013: Cornflower Farms Plant List
Elderberry Farms Plant List Scientific Sort Elderberry Farms Plant List Common Name Sort (See plant photos in binders at Nursery.)
Discovery Zone for all us Kidz (in the Old Schoolhouse) (on-going, all day)
- Focus on Flowers - several microscopes
- Art table - with flowers in vases posing for the artists!
- Scavenger Hunt table (then go outside to gather for the hunt) Prizes for those who complete!
- Quiet corner - featuring a You-Tube video of the life cycle of the Swallowtail Pipevine Butterfly; plus California Gold’s Huell Howser episodes of Mather Vernal Pools and of the American River Parkway.
Suggested donation: $5 No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
If you would like volunteer at this awesome event, please contact Chris at